Indigenous History Month
Ornge recognizes the importance of Indigenous History Month and key initiatives towards Health Equity.
June 2, 2021
2 June, 2021
June is National Indigenous History Month. At Ornge, we are finding ways to celebrate the history, heritage and diversity of First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples in Canada.
“We want to show our commitment to Health Equity while providing inclusive and culturally appropriate healthcare,” says Dr. Homer Tien, President and CEO of Ornge. “Whether its through training, partnerships with Indigenous organizations, or developing organizational strategies towards inclusive practices and processes, our job is to be there for all patients, so they can get safe and timely care, transport and access to health services they need.”
See below for some of the recent initiatives Ornge is currently providing to foster inclusive practices for our indigenous community members:
- Ornge joined seven other organizations in the signing of Relationship Accords to improve health care across NAN territory. [see release]
- Ornge is offering an 8-week Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course to all full-time Employees. Training has already been completed by all Operation Remote Immunity vaccinators and team members. [learn more]
- Ornge is continues work closely with partners in the north on Operation Remote Immunity 2.0 to deliver the Pfizer vaccine to youth (age 12-17) in Indigenous and fly-in communities across Northern Ontario. [learn more]
- Ornge released its strategic plan (iPropel) with a focus on the importance of equity, diversity and inclusion and culturally sensitive and appropriate care to all Ontarians. [learn more]
- Ornge’s Equity Diversity and Inclusion Committee is currently developing Indigenous land acknowledgement statements for it’s locations across the province.
A number of these initiatives are led by Ornge’s HR Department in collaboration with the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
For more information please contact:
Ornge Media Relations
1-888-229-8115 (toll free)