The following are guidelines for health care facilities when deciding if Ornge should be considered for medical transport (air or land). Each case will be individually evaluated and if required an Ornge Transport Medicine Physician/Paediatrician will be involved.
The child (age less than 18 years) should meet one of the following guidelines for medical transport:
- Child requires specialized paediatric expertise.
- Child requires the ongoing administration of intravenous medications and/or blood products during transport.
- Child requires the use of specialized equipment or monitor- ing devices during transport. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Multi-channel infusion pump(s)
- Hemodynamic or invasive monitoring
- Child is at high risk of deteriorating during transport and may require specialized medical intervention
There may be circumstances where a request for service does not meet the above guidelines. Ornge will assist health care professionals in determining the right level of care with the right type of vehicle (air or land).
Ornge does infant and paediatric transport. For all infants < 28 days or < 5kgs- please continue to consider accessing the hospital based neonatal transport team for your region. Ornge works collaboratively to provide support to the neonatal transport teams for long distance transports.
Want more information?
A Communications Officer is available 24/7 in our Operations Control Centre to address any concerns you have by calling 1.800.387.4672.
Download PDF | Download Plain Text Document